Niki Gulley’s passion for painting began in grade school when she had to draw something as mundane as shoes for art class, and loved every minute of it. Seeing a spark of enthusiasm, her parents signed her up for private art lessons and she has been hooked ever since. Following her childhood in Glenview, Illinois, Niki relocated to Dallas to pursue an art major at Southern Methodist University. Since she disliked the long Chicago winters, Dallas seemed like the place to stay after completing her degree.
Upon graduating Gulley entered the world of advertising, working as art director for a Dallas magazine. After a few years passed by, Niki felt like something was missing. So she started painting again during nights, weekends and any time she could find a free moment. This satisfied the void and she began to feel fulfilled again. Ten years later she segued from advertising to live her life’s dream of being a full-time artist and has continued to paint full time for the past fifteen years. Besides painting in her Dallas studio, Gulley has traveled the globe in search for inspiration, and often paints sketches on location to create larger works back home. With her husband and photographer, Scott Williams, they have combined their mutual experience as travelers, coupled with their passion for teaching, to conduct painting and photography Art Treks both in Europe and the US.
It’s from this search for inspiration that Niki translates onto canvas her emotion for the viewer to share. She seeks to capture the beauty and mysteries of our landscape, utilizing vivid color palettes to convey a particular mood. Gulley invites you to reconnect with nature and escape the day-to-day responsibilities along with her in these creations.
Niki Gulley’s artwork not only has a loyal local following, but is also recognized throughout the country. She has participated in juried exhibitions at the Dallas Museum of Art and various museums around Texas, in addition to being represented by galleries from coast to coast, including New York City, Palm Beach, Vail and San Diego. Besides exhibiting in competitive international shows, her award-winning paintings have also been collected by several corporations including Presbyterian Hospital in New York City, Baylor Medical Center in Dallas and Northstar Bank of Texas. Additionally, Gulley is a member of the prestigious Pastel Society of America and Oil Painters of America Society.
You can see more of Gulley’s work at AO5 Gallery in Austin, TX, the Good Art Company Gallery in Fredericksburg, TX, The Statton Gallery in Eureka Springs, AR, Studio Seven Arts in Pleasonton, CA, Seaside Gallery in Pismo Beach, CA or at Brandon Jacobs Gallery in Kansas City, MO. Her studio in Dallas, TX is also open by appointment if you would like Gulley to give you a tour.
• Represented by Marigold Arts Gallery, Santa Fe, NM, 2021
• Featured Artist at “Strokes of Art Exhibit, ” Southlake Town Hall, Spring 2021
• “Field of Sunshine” selected for Charleston Style and Design Magazine, Winter 2021:
• Featured Article in the magazine, ShoutOut DFW, December 2021
To read the article, visit https://shoutoutdfw.com/meet-niki-gulley-contemporary-impressionist-artist/.
• Selected for Dallas Style and Design Magazine, Winter 2020
You can see a digital copy of the magazine here, https://www.qgdigitalpublishing.com/publication/?m=54916&i=684630&p=1,
• Represented by Studio Seven Arts Gallery, Pleasonton, CA, 2020-present
• Featured in the magazine, ShoutOut DFW, December 2020
To read the article, visit https://shoutoutdfw.com/meet-niki-gulley-contemporary-impressionist-artist/
• Represented by The Statton Gallery, Eureka Springs, AR, 2020-present
• “Symphony in Springtime III” juried into “New Texas Talent,” AO5 Gallery, Austin, TX, June 2020
• Represented by AO5 Gallery, Austin, TX, 2020-present
• Goodrich Gallery, One Woman Show, Dallas, TX, Nov. 2019
• Represented by Brandon Jacobs Gallery, Kansas City, MO, 2019-present
• Best in Show, Webster Groves Art Festival, St. Louis, MO 2018
• Represented by Seaside Gallery, Pismo Beach, CA, 2018-present
• Guest lecturer for Southern Methodist University, Summer in Taos program. July 2018.
• TV interview on Detroit ABC News out of Ann Arbor, MI (WXYZ). July 28, 2018.
• First Place for “Autumn Serenade II,” Discovery Juried Show, Milan Gallery, Fort Worth, TX, June 2017
• First Place Ribbon for “Following the Leader,” H2O AOT Juried Show, Kucera Gallery, Corpus Cristi, TX, March 2017
• “Soaring Dreams II” juried into the American Women Artists Spring Online Show, April 2017
• New Gallery Representation at Milan Gallery, Fort Worth, TX, 2017
• One Woman Show at The Good Art Company Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX, March 2016
• “What Dreams Are Made Of” 72″ x 72″ Quadriptych Painting acquired for the lobby of the MCM Eleganté Hotel, Dallas, TX, 2016
• Juried into the Discovery Show at Milan Gallery, Fort Worth, TX, 2016
• Juror for one of the top 25 art shows in the U.S., 2015
• Exhibited with Davis & Co. Fine Art Gallery, Spring, TX, 2015
• One Woman Show at The Good Art Company Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX, April 2015
• Chosen to exhibit in “Salon International,” Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art, San Antonio, TX, March 2014
• Represented by The Good Art Company Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX, 2002 -present
- One Woman Show, “Nature’s Kaleidoscope,” The Good Art Company Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX
- Featured Artist – Art in the Square, Southlake, TX
- Six oversized pieces acquired by Prime Lending, Corporate Headquarters, Dallas, TX
- Juried into “Plein Air Southwest,” Southwest Art Gallery, Dallas, TX
- Featured in American Art Collector magazine, March 2013
- Juried into Artists of Texas’ Annual Show, Dutch Art Gallery, November 2013
- Honorary Award for “A Pause in Time, Venice”, Southwest Pastel Society’s National Juried Show, Dallas, TX
- Featured Artist – Dallas Spring Gallery Walk, “Colorful Transformations” Series, American Fine Art Gallery in Dallas, TX
- Awarded “Outstanding Achievement” at the Gold Coast Art Fair, Chicago, IL
- Featured Artist at The Good Art Company in Fredericksburg, TX, November 2012
- Juried into Plein Air Southwest with “Morning Textures, Tuscany,” Southwest Art Gallery, Dallas, TX
- Featured in American Art Collector magazine, April 2012
- Juried into Artists of Texas’ Annual Show, Dutch Art Gallery, October 2012
- Two woman show, “Opposites Attract,” Irving Arts Center, Irving, TX
- Southwest Art Magazine, April 2012
- Represented by American Fine Art Gallery in Dallas, TX
- Best in Oil Painting at the Frisco Art Festival, Frisco, TX
- Special Award at Watters Creek Art Festival, Allen, TX
- Three paintings juried into “The Spirit of Texas” art show at the Dutch Art Gallery, Dallas, TX
- Published in Southwest Art Magazine – January, March, May, June
- Featured in American Art Collector Magazine – April
- Juror’s Choice: Best in Show at the Frisco Art Festival, Frisco, TX
- Selected to Exhibit for a One Woman Show at American Airlines headquarters in Fort Worth, TX
- Chosen to exhibit at “Women-Made,” a women only group show at Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas, TX
- Interviewed for the Dallas Morning News, Neighbors section, March 5th, 2010
- “Road Less Taken” selected to present to President Obama for inclusion at the White House by Irving High School seniors
- Exhibition at the Dutch Art Gallery, Dallas, TX
- Began teaching a Plein Air Painting Workshop in Venice, Italy
- Illustrator for The Art of Virtue, a published book based on The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Charles T. Warren ©2009
- Guest speaker for the Kiwanis Club of Evanston, IL
- Selected to be a part of the Pastel National 2008 at the Wichita Center for the Arts.
- “Lazy River” selected for the Red River Valley International Juried Art Exhibition at Red River Valley Museum, Vernon, TX.
- “Making Connections”juried into the 40th Annual Visual Arts Exhibition in Denton, TX.
- ‘Santorini Sunset” chosen to be a part of Midland Arts Association’s 2008 Spring Juried Art Exhibition, held at the Museum of the Southwest, Midland, TX.
- Interviewed for Lakewood People Newspaper, Dallas, TX, Oct. 2008
2006’s & 2007’s Highlights
- Selected as the 2007 Poster artist out of 350 artists at the State Street Area Art Fair, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Featured artist at the 30th Annual Leesburg Fine Art Festival, Leesburg, FL.
- Interviewed on Glenview TV, cable television channel 17, Chicago, IL.
- Awarded a blue ribbon at the 54th Annual Glenview Outdoor Art Fair, Glenview, IL.
- Featured artist in Texas Home & Living Magazine, “Lone Star Artists,” July/August 2007.
- Received an award of distinction for Hope at the Artist’s Showplace Juried Exhibition, Richardson, Texas.
- Two paintings selected for juried show sponsored by Museum of the Southwest. Awarded third place for Edge of Dreams pastel.
- Accepted into the Artist’s Showplace Juried Exhibition, Richardson, Texas.
- “River of Colors” chosen to exhibit at Plano Art Association’s Juried Show.
- Juried into the Texas & Neighbors Regional Exhibition, Irving, Texas.
- Chosen to exhibit with Pastels USA Contest, Auburn, California.
- “Winter’s Calm” chosen to exhibit at Southwest Pastel Society’s National Juried Show, Dallas, TX.
2004’s & 2005’s Highlights
- One of 6 Cottonwood artists featured to exhibit at Richardson’s Eisemann Center Gallery, April-May 2005, Richardson, TX.
- Guest panelist for Southern Methodist University, Meadows School of the Arts
- One of seven artists chosen to exhibit at Chateaux des Arts, Dallas, TX
- One woman show at the Bath House Cultural Center â€œ”White Rock Lake Inspirations,” Dallas, TX
- Juried into Irving Art Association’s”Texas and Neighbors Regional Art Exhibition 2005,”Irving Arts Center, Irving, TX
- Guest demonstrator for the Frank Kleper Art Club, Dallas, TX
- One of 20 artists selected for City Arts, Dallas, TX
- Juried to exhibit at Pastel Society of America’s Dunedin Invitational, Dunedin, FL
- Irving Art Association, “one Woman Show,”Irving, TX
- Selected to Exhibit at John Patrick Fine Art, Dallas, TX
- Pastel Society of America
- Oil Painters of America
2002’s & 2003’s Highlights
- Exhibited at William Merrill Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA
- Commissioned to create two pieces for Presbyterian Hospital, DowntownCampus, New York City, NY
- Pastel Society of America
- Oil Painters of America
- Southwest Pastel Society, “National Juried Exhibition,” Richardson,TX, 2003
- Associated Creative Artists,’Annual Juried Show,’ The Artists’ Showplace, Richardson, TX
- Received a Special Award from the Associated Creative Artists Annual Juried Show, Richardson, TX
- Exhibited at Phoenix Art Gallery, Dallas, TX
- National League of Pen Women, “Juried Show,” Dallas, TX
- Selected for Post Block 588’s “Art in the Lofts,” Dallas, TX
- Group show at Larry Davidson Salon, Dallas
- Received Second Place at The Lakewood Library Friends Exhibition, Dallas, TX
- Commissioned by Baylor Medical Center, Our Children’s House, Dallas, TX
- Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, TX
- Juried into the Pastel Society of New Mexico’s National Show
- Selected for New Orleans Pastel Society’s National Juried Show
- Invited to exhibit at McCormick Gallery, Midland College for a Two Woman Show.
- Juried into the 8th Annual Gulf Coast National Juried Art Competition held at Texas Artists Museum in Port Arthur.
- Selected to exhibit in the Lone Star Pastel Society’s 2002 National Juried Exhibition, held in Amarillo, Texas.
- Solo show at Larry Davidson Salon, Dallas
- Awarded First Place at the 2002 State Fair of Texas Creative Arts competition.
- Goodrich Gallery, “One Woman Show,” Dallas, TX, 2002
- Enchanted Galleries, “Three Person Show,” Dallas, TX, 2002
- Fulton Street Gallery, “Interpreting Landscape,” Juror: Sandra Carpenter, Artist’s Magazine editor, Troy, NY, 2002
- Southwest Pastel Society, “2002 National Juried Exhibition,” Southwest Art Gallery, Dallas, TX, 2002
- Associated Creative Artists, “Annual Juried Show,” Southwest Art Gallery, Dallas, TX, 2002
- Post Block 588, Selected Group Show, “Art in the Lofts,” Dallas, TX, 2002
- Chosen to exhibit my work nationally at the following galleries:
Ambassador Galleries, New York City & Palm Beach, FL, J. Cotter Gallery, Vail, CO and Touchstone Fine Art, New Orleans, LA.
- Accepted into United Pastelists of America Juried Pastel Exhibition to be on display at the Edward Hopper House in New York.
- Selected for the Sierra Pastel Society’s Pastels on High International Exhibition, CA.
- Juried into the Sacramento Fine Arts Center, Magnum Opus VIII.
- Invited to exhibit at Art Holdings in the spring and Furniture Marketing Group and J&G Jewelers in the fall.
- Featured as Robb & Stucky’s Artist in the Atrium for September.
- Commissioned for Moore Disposal and Our Children’s House at Baylor Medical Center.
- Awarded second, fourth and fifth place ribbons at the 2001 State Fair of Texas Creative Arts Competition.
- Two pieces selected for the Pastel Society of New Mexico’s 2001 National Exhibition.
- Represented by Ambassador Galleries, New York, NY
- Juried into Sierra Pastel Society’s “Pastels on High International Exhibition,” Juror: Richard McDaniel, Placerville, CA
- Selected for Sacramento Fine Arts Center’s “Magnum Opus VIII,” Sacramento, CA
- Hosting an art show representing five local artists and myself at Southside on Lamar Artists’ Lofts March 2 – 4.
- Selected for Associated Creative Artists’ Juried Show at Ann Hughes Fine Art.
- Added to Northstar Bank of Texas and Nayna Networks’ corporate collections.
- Selected to exhibit at Edmond Craig Gallery in Fort Worth.
- Accepted into Texas Artists Museum Gulf Coast National Art Competition with “Fall Color.”
- Received a first place for “Fall Tree,”a second place for “Delphinium” and a fifth place for”Colorful Key West” in the State Fair of Texas Creative Arts Competition.
- Juried into Connecticut Pastel Society’s Renaissance Show in Hartford with “Arboretum Spring Light”
- Accepted into Southern Star Gallery in Friso, TX.
- Accepted into Legacy Gallery in Rockwall, TX.
- Selected for Cottonwood Art Festival, a juried art festival in Richardson, TX.
- Published Articles:”Netting the Neighborhood,” an article interviewing entrepreneurs with websites in the neighborhood, in the Lakewood/Lake Highlands Advocate.
- Accepted into Beaux Arts, Dallas, TX.
- Awarded first place at Lakewood Library Friends’ annual exhibition for â€œDelphiniumâ€
- Accepted into Longhorn Gallery, Denton, TX.
- Mission Gallery’s “hree Woman Show” Mar. 21 & 22, Dallas, TX.
- Accepted into New Orleans Art Association, “20th National Juried Art Exhibition,” New Orleans, LA, Feb. 2000, Juror: M. Stephen Doherty, Editor-in-chief of American Artist magazine.
- Selected for ArtFest 2000, a juried art festival in Dallas.